If by some chance you're reading this, and you didn't bother to read the title of the post...classes start tomorrow.
Tomorrow, I begin my first semester (of five) in the Kennesaw State University's Education Specialist in Instructional Technology Program with two classes I'm certain I'll enjoy: 21st Century Teaching & Learning (ITEC 7400) and Multimedia & Web Design in Education (ITEC 7445). I've gotten a head start on both classes to create some sort of momentum as I begin the larger assignments due at the end of the summer semester. Since I'm taking both of these classes in a condensed summer session, I think it's best to get on with the gettin' on.
ITEC 7400 -- I started the "Orientation Module" earlier this summer and perused our D2L (better known as eCLASS within GCPS) course pages. Dr. Jo Williamson has already been extremely helpful in organizing the class and making every aspect as accessible as possible. Her guidance has really been a helpful model in how I can better instruct my students throughout classroom assignments and objectives. For example, I'm looking forward to learning more about building learning modules so my students can revisit specific content and pace themselves on specific learning objectives. With my eCLASS course page, much of my content is all over the place, and I'm hoping to develop strategies to clean up my own course page so students have a more efficient user experience.
After becoming familiar with our course page, updating my profile, and learning about my classmates (still reading their profiles), I read the assigned pages from our course textbook: Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching: Transforming Learning Across Disciplines. In our assigned reading, authors Roblyer and Hughes "review content and technology standards for students and teachers and conceptual frameworks that assist teachers in integrating technology in the classroom." The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) ELA standards they mention align with the GCPS AKS 25, 26, 27 and 29, which focuses on developing digital literacy, working collaboratively, writing for different audiences, etc. However, these are not the only standards within the AKS that apply. Here's more information on these technology standards for students and standards for educators.
The textbook also provides information on The P21 Skill Framework for 21st Century Learning and TPCK/TPACK Framework.
ITEC 7445 -- As soon as the class opened up via D2L, I checked out the syllabus to see what textbooks I needed to buy. Luckily, Amazon had both copies and delivered them a day after I ordered. I really enjoyed our first reading, chapters 1-6 in Robin Williams' The Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and Typographic Principles for the Visual Novice.
After reading about the four principles (contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity), I redesigned our Fall 2019 Junior Language Arts Course Syllabus and sent it to my colleagues. I've known for a while that I've always enjoyed designing Google Slides presentations that are visually appealing, but I never knew the specific terminology that makes a visual aid or presentation appealing. I'm looking forward to learning more about design and how the brain and eyes absorb the design, hopefully making my students more engaged along the way.
I've also briefly started the WebQuest review, and I will continue working on that this week (hopefully knocking two out tomorrow).
Tomorrow, I begin my first semester (of five) in the Kennesaw State University's Education Specialist in Instructional Technology Program with two classes I'm certain I'll enjoy: 21st Century Teaching & Learning (ITEC 7400) and Multimedia & Web Design in Education (ITEC 7445). I've gotten a head start on both classes to create some sort of momentum as I begin the larger assignments due at the end of the summer semester. Since I'm taking both of these classes in a condensed summer session, I think it's best to get on with the gettin' on.
ITEC 7400 -- I started the "Orientation Module" earlier this summer and perused our D2L (better known as eCLASS within GCPS) course pages. Dr. Jo Williamson has already been extremely helpful in organizing the class and making every aspect as accessible as possible. Her guidance has really been a helpful model in how I can better instruct my students throughout classroom assignments and objectives. For example, I'm looking forward to learning more about building learning modules so my students can revisit specific content and pace themselves on specific learning objectives. With my eCLASS course page, much of my content is all over the place, and I'm hoping to develop strategies to clean up my own course page so students have a more efficient user experience.
After becoming familiar with our course page, updating my profile, and learning about my classmates (still reading their profiles), I read the assigned pages from our course textbook: Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching: Transforming Learning Across Disciplines. In our assigned reading, authors Roblyer and Hughes "review content and technology standards for students and teachers and conceptual frameworks that assist teachers in integrating technology in the classroom." The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) ELA standards they mention align with the GCPS AKS 25, 26, 27 and 29, which focuses on developing digital literacy, working collaboratively, writing for different audiences, etc. However, these are not the only standards within the AKS that apply. Here's more information on these technology standards for students and standards for educators.
The textbook also provides information on The P21 Skill Framework for 21st Century Learning and TPCK/TPACK Framework.
ITEC 7445 -- As soon as the class opened up via D2L, I checked out the syllabus to see what textbooks I needed to buy. Luckily, Amazon had both copies and delivered them a day after I ordered. I really enjoyed our first reading, chapters 1-6 in Robin Williams' The Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and Typographic Principles for the Visual Novice.
After reading about the four principles (contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity), I redesigned our Fall 2019 Junior Language Arts Course Syllabus and sent it to my colleagues. I've known for a while that I've always enjoyed designing Google Slides presentations that are visually appealing, but I never knew the specific terminology that makes a visual aid or presentation appealing. I'm looking forward to learning more about design and how the brain and eyes absorb the design, hopefully making my students more engaged along the way.
I've also briefly started the WebQuest review, and I will continue working on that this week (hopefully knocking two out tomorrow).
No comments:
Post a Comment